Here is a breakdown of how I created a layout about my husband and I, using the Prima Engraver papers (in my March Swirlydoos "Vintage Chic" kit) and tons of Helmar goodness. I posted this on the Swirlydoos Forum and the Helmar blog but thought I would archive it here on my blog too.
STEP 1: BACKGROUND LAYERS
I cut one inch off the top and the left side of the black paper - leaving me with an 11-inch square (without cutting off the pretty flower print). I distressed it with my electronic Zutter Distrezz-it-all tool. Then, I cut a 3.5-inch wide by 10-inch tall piece of the script paper and distressed that too and glued it down as shown with the Premium Craft glue. NOTE: I never glue all my edges down so that I can add texture, tears or curl the paper edges later on.
click on images for larger views
STEP 2: CREATING A PATTERNED LAYER
Next, I took a Prima stencil and stippled gesso onto the middle of the tan paper (where there was no pattern printed). Then, I cut an 8-inch by 8-inch piece out to use as another layer. TIP: If you choose to use a light colored photo, then black gesso might look better. Since my photo choice was dark, the white makes it stand out better to create the focal point of the page.
STEP 3: FRAMING THE PHOTO
After adding my gesso patterned paper, (without glueing down the bottom third of this paper), I chose to fussy cut a clock out of one of the other Prima papers and add the Prima flower packaging to frame my photo (photo is standard 4x6 inch size). On the clock, I cut apart some Prima bling strips to accent above the numbers. The papers were glued down using Helmar's Premium craft glue and the photo was added using the Adhesive Runner.
STEP 4: ADDING THE FINISHING TOUCHES
To polish things off, I added some Prima bling strips under the photo and tore the gessoed paper up to the bling. I then tucked a scrap of the scrip paper under it the tear. I curled the tear, as well as all 4 of the black paper corners and the top right of the gessoed paper too. Lastly, I took off the bottom layer of one of the Prima flowers and tucked the petals into the top right curl before adding the two large flowers to the corner of my photo. The flowers were added using Helmar 450 quick dry.
That's it, layout complete!