With simply paper and creativity anyone can create art


Monday, November 8, 2010

Winter Roses Tutorial

Roses are my weakness - I admit it! I've been waiting to post this tutorial for a while because I needed my local Michael's Diamond Dust shipment to arrive. These flowers are so easy that you'll kick yourself for ever having paid full price for a pack. I figure each flower costs me under ten cents to make and they take very little time to do.


Here is what you will need: Two large punched flowers and three small (mine are 1 and 2 inches). All that matters is that there are 5 petals with separation and an inch difference between the large and small ones - so use whatever punch/dies you have. I used EK retro punches. You'll also need water to mist, clear glue or glitter glue, strong craft glue, Diamond Dust or chunky glitter, a thick rounded pen or paintbrush, a thin skewer or paintbrush and a foam pad/mouse pad. You can also punch a green pointed tip flower to act as your leaves later on.

Step 1: Water mist all the flowers and press the middles into the foam mat with the end of a wide rounded pen or paintbrush. Cup the small ones around the pen. Pinch one a bit and another a lot to form your bud.

Step 2: Using the skewer, tightly curl the petals of one large flower inwards and for the other do it outwards, as shown below. Doing it in opposition like this is what prevents flattening later on. Let all 5 flowers dry completely - this stiffens the paper to hold the shape.

Step 3: Glue the outwardly curled petals to the greenery and then the inwardly curled petals on top. Press all together into the foam mat with your pen to ensure glue stiffens in the "cup" shape - this is needed for your center.

Step 4: Glue the 3 small flowers into the middle, be generous with your glue as this will stiffen the flower and help with durability. Let the glue dry before moving on.

Step 5: Add a thin layer of clear glue or glitter glue where desired and then immediately press into Diamond Dust. Shake off excess. This will also stiffen the flower prevent damage.

That's it! Here is my finished rose.

Here is my rose beside a Prima brand "Marble Ice" one. You could always add a third layer to the bottom... but I like my flowers less bulky for layouts.

Thanks for stopping by. As always, your support means a lot to me so thank you for all the wonderful comments you leave - really makes my day to read them!

32 comments:

Stay True To God said...

Another PERFECT flower tutorial Vicky!!! Thanks for such easy instructions. Your flower looks just like Prima's... and I'm lov'n the diamond dust!! :) hugs... Tracy

Ivana Camdzic said...

This rose looks so professional!! Honestly, aside from the size, I would NEVER be able to tell it was not Prima rose...it's STUNNING!!! Don't you just love that diamond dust?! I picked some up while I was in the states and I was just waiting for the right time to use it...I think this may be it! Thanks so much for sharing! I LOVE all of your tutorials! :)

Unknown said...

It does look exactly the same! I also prefer a little less depth than what the Winter Roses offer. Now to find diamond dust....

Missy Whidden said...

Wow! I would never be able to tell the difference. Your flower is stunning! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Dara Lynn said...

Punches...check...glues and diamond dust...check check... fantastic tutorial on how to make a great flower.... this blog is priceless!!!

Jokey said...

Fantastic tutorial! Your rose turned out amazing!

Clare said...

Thanks for the tutorial, the flowers look amazing!!

Stephanie said...

This is a beautiful flower...looks just like the Prima one! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a cool flower!!!Great tutorial.

Thanks


Val (Brazil)
www.crieartezzanato.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Love this Vicky! Can't wait to try it out!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

LisiB said...

Wow! this is amazing! 10 cents vs way too expensive! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful flower!!and thanks for sharing Great tutorial.
I'm sure you now follow you make beautiful work


~carla

ScrappyLizzy said...

Wow Vickie, this is awesome!

Denise said...

Love it! Trying it now!! Hope they turn out as good as this.

Jaluza Scrap said...

Perfeito!!!

Edilza Teixeira Scrap e Artes said...

Oi Vicky!!!

Adorei seu blog e os tutorias (PAP) estão maravilhosos!!!

Me tornei sua seguidora!!!

Beijos

LG said...

this is amazing! I will definitely try this out!

Darien said...

Those flowers are GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I Want to try them!!!!

Lisa said...

absolutely stunning! They look gorgeous and if you hadnt said they werent prima...i would never know! perfect!

LISA said...

Gorgeous Vicky!!! Love love love using diamond dust on my flowers. TFS...

Unknown said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

{Eka} said...

Wow! Wonderful tutorilas, Vicky! Since I am living in Indonesia and not yet many scrap stores around, your tut means a lot to me! Thankss!

Barbara Loveday said...

Your flowers are stunning! where do you get your diamond dust? Can't seem to track it down here in Australia :(

Anonymous said...

Parabéns muito lindo!

Raquel Leal said...

Ficou perfeito!Beijocas.

Ellen Taylor said...

Stunning flowers TFS

Viv said...

Thankyou so much for all these fabulous tutorials, I have made quite a few flowers already but will try a combination of yours now too. TFS :) Viv xx

Lynda said...

This is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your talent and directions. I look forward to making roses for my scrapbooking pojects.
Lyndaoflakeland.blogspot.com

Irene said...

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely flower, I have to say I like yours better than the Prima one (no offence, Prima has great stuff, too), but you are saving us a lot when sharing such inspirational tutorials. I'm forwarding this info to my fellow scrap-friends, thanks again, Irene - Greece

Erni said...

what a surprise to find your blog ,and to see how you are creating such beautiful flowers - amazing ! 'til now my roses when ever I tried,well.- hm,I will follow your tutorials,for sure! thanks and greetings from Vienna, Erni

jorja fawsitt said...

This information has been very helpful thanks for sharing this post.


Best Discount Codes

thisisemliyblunt said...

Thanks for sharing this broken link checker tool. I want to add that there is a link between all pages inside the site napapijri discount code. If at least one of the pages is deleted, then the links that led to it automatically become inoperative.