With simply paper and creativity anyone can create art


Monday, June 27, 2011

Wild Roses Tutorial

I have been wanting to do this flower for a while but needed the right technique. Then, I saw some gorgeous flowers made by Charlotte Ravn and she was so sweet and shared how she got the precise wrinkled look to her flowers. This, combined with some modifications ended up looking like the wild roses I was trying to achieve.

Here is what you will need: 3 large, 2 medium and one small flower (I used my retro flower punches but any similar die or punch will do). Ink for the edges, water to mist, glue, a few thin items like paintbrush and skewer, plus a foam mat.

Step 1: Heavily mist the flowers (I had lightly inked the tips first) and curl around a smooth item, then while holding the petal around the paintbrush, GENTLY pinch each petal to wrinkle. This will not work if it is not wet enough. This was the awesome technique tip from Charlotte - curl, hold and pinch - genius! Then, let dry a little. You won't be able to do this with the smallest flower so just smash up the petals a little with your fingers.

Step 2: When almost dry, press into a foam mat to lift the petals. If still too wet, the paper will rip. Let completely dry.

Step 3: Glue all your layers from largest to smallest, while off-setting the petals. The skewer comes in handy to push the small flower into the middle. TIP: Once the glue dries, I like to slightly pinch a few petal ends and re-ink a few tips to give a more realistic look.

Here is a picture of Charlotte's gardenia style flowers that I used for inspiration. I suspect she used 2 large, 2 medium and 2 small flowers and moulded the ends while they were wet to get this look. I left mine to dry curled.

Thanks for stopping by today, let me know what you think!

42 comments:

Bonnie aka Cinnabon said...

Thanks for sharing, Vicky! I love flower tutorials, and you always have the best!

Sandi Smith said...

These are gorgeous Vicky...love them!

Dara Lynn said...

I can always count on you to make beautiful flowers that I go back to again and again. This new wild rose will go into my Vicky's flowers file:) Thank you for your devotion and energy you give to help us out here keep making beautiful pages and cards. You are sooooo appreciated here in Oklahoma City OK!

Scrapthat said...

Those turned out fabulous!! TFS your great tutorial!

Valery Klassen said...

These flowers are beautiful. I will certainly be trying this technique. TFS.

Pendra said...

I will be trying these... I don't have punches or die cut machine but I do have scissors! I think these are gorgeous and you can make them the color you need to perfectly match your layout or card. Thanks so much for sharing!

Shona said...

gorgeous...I have to try one :)

Unknown said...

These are just STUNNING...

Charlotte Ravn said...

Wow the roses are georgeus Vicky! Thanks for the tutorial! You are right I used 2 of each size for my flowers and the gren leaves are one more of the largest flower! Thank you for linking to my blog! :)

Drea Slee said...

Such gorgeous flowers! I can't wait to make them! TFS!

Lisa Barrie said...

Wonderful tutorial thanks!

Fern said...

Gorgeous!!!! TFS

Bente Fagerberg said...

Wow wow wow This is a fabulous tutorial. Now off to check out the chippies! Tfs!

Traci Thiel said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Roberta; mother of 4, GiGi to 1 said...

These are probably my favorite handmade flowers that I have seen this year! I might even be able to try this!

Roberta @ The Papercrafting League
http://thepapercraftingleague.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I'm going to have to try this!
Mandy

Bronlyn said...

Lovely ...you are so creative ..i love your ideas...I am hear saying ooohhh what a good idea ...keep up the lovely work Bron

Ivana Camdzic said...

Soooo beautiful!!!

Trillucy said...

Egyszerűen csak gyönyörű!Gratulálok!-)

Lisa said...

Awesome Vicky!!!! The are gorgeous!!!

jnine said...

Wow
Your flowers are impressive. I can't wait to try these out. I just need to get a bigger size of the punch you used as mine is far to small.
Jeannine

Eila Sandberg said...

MY GOODNESS Vicky! these roses are just out of this world beautiful - thank you thank you for the tut and for sharing! Your flowers really are the best handmade ones and I can re-visit your tuts just for the pleasure of looking at the pictures. I really do HAVE to try these out! Love and hugs, E

Monia - Monika Jakubowska said...

Gorgeour flowers!!! I love the idea, thanks for sharing :*
Hugs from Poland :)

Renee V said...

I think they're BEAUTIFUL!!! Looks like it might take some practice, but we all know what practice makes!!
Thanks so much for sharing these :)

krcmasterpiece said...

I have been looking for great flower techniques-hate paying the prices in the stores when I can make my own!
Thanks so much! They are absolutely gorgeous!

Monia - Monika Jakubowska said...

Hi, it`s me again :) Maybe You want to know how my flowers looks? The firs one is here: http://monika-jot.blogspot.com/2011/08/marianne-d.html

Mona_63 said...

Genialne!! WoW!

FerrellGraph-x said...

Genius! Love your flowers!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer Ferrell

Patti Jo said...

FABULOUS! These are sooo beautiful and I love floral paper craft. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial, it is awesome!!!

Only By His Grace said...

Wonderful flowers. I just made some from your tutorial and loved them.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs maz

annes papercreations said...

Thank you for sharing this gorgeous flovers techniques :-)

Ani said...

I love gardenia flowers but find them way too expensive. Will definitely give this a try. Your flowers look just gorgeous!
And as a handmade flowers love I'm your new follower!
Hugs, Ani

Matylda said...

Thank's for this tutorial! It's great!
Hugs from Europe (Poland)

Christina Griffiths said...

Beautiful flowers and what an addition to all your girly cards. Thanks

LivArtNow said...

WOW, these are supergorgeous!! Love your flowers, thanks for sharing, hugs and smiles,
Linda

britgirl58 said...

Lovely flowers - and easy to understand instructions. TFS.

Priscilla said...

Gorgeous flowers, can't wait to try them. Thanks for the easy instructions.

britgirl58 said...

I love these flowers. Thank you for the tutorials. Although I usually prefer a video tutorial, yours are clear, and easy to understand.
I know there are many other flower tutorials out there, but yours give a very professional look. Now I just hope I can get mine to look something like yours!

Ula H. said...

Super !!! Genialne !!!

Anja said...

Thank you for sharing this. I followed a link to your blog and I love your work, so I'll become your follower!! :-)
Would love it if you became my follower as well!
Lots of love from a sunny Holland!

Swati said...

off to my crafting table.....gotta make these flowers right now,,,!!!!

Isha Tripathi said...

Aww love these gorgeous beauties ..
I am back on my table with madness for handmade flowers
Thanks for the lovely tutorial